Monday, January 20, 2014

Favorited: My Favorite Movies of 2013 - The Ones The Didn't Make The Cut

Welcome back, everyone! So I meant to publish my list of favorite movies of 2013 a lot sooner, but I had a few last movies to watch before compiling my list... then I got a temporary job that kept me busy for most of the past week. Things will get busy all over again when grad school begins in two days, so I'm finally sitting down and getting this list done.

Like 2012, 2013 was a packed with great movies. Unlike 2012, though, this time I have forced myself to narrow down my list to only 10 favorite movies (although as you'll see, I did kind of cheat again, this time with the definition of "favorite").

Today I'd like to present my list of runners-up, the movies I felt need to be mentioned but which I couldn't include in my absolute top ten. Even in this list, I need to divide it into smaller lists.

First off, here is a short list of 2013 movies that I did not see but may have had a shot at making my list if I'd seen them:

20 Feet From Stardom
After Tiller
Beyond The Hills
Blue Is The Warmest Color
Concussion
Kill Your Darlings
Let The Fire Burn

Next, here's an unreasonably long list of movies that I saw and liked very much— seriously, I would give most of these movies 3 1/2 out of 4 stars— but didn't even make it into my top 20!

42
Ain’t Them Bodies Saints
All Is Lost
Blackfish
Blue Jasmine
The Conjuring
The Counselor
Cutie And The Boxer
Drinking Buddies
Enough Said
Fast And Furious 6
Fruitvale Station
The Grandmaster
The Great Gatsby
A Hijacking
The Hunt
I’m So Excited
Iron Man Three
Monsters University
Much Ado About Nothing
Pacific Rim
The Past
Philomena
The Place Beyond The Pines
Prince Avalanche
Prisoners
Saving Mr. Banks
Sightseers
Spring Breakers
The Square
Stoker
This Is The End
Tim’s Vermeer
To The Wonder
The Way, Way Back
The Wind Rises
The Wolverine
You’re Next

And now, here's the meat of this blog entry:

My favorite movies of 2013, numbers 11-20 (in alphabetical order):

I only ranked my top ten, so I am presenting the 10 runners-up in alphabetical order.

American Hustle

I adore David O. Russell, and I adore this movie, but Devin Faraci wrote an essay for Badass Digest a few weeks ago that unfortunately expresses exactly how I feel: American Hustle will suffer an undeserved backlash if it wins the Best Picture Oscar because it's nowhere near the best movie of the year. Like Argo, The Artist, and The King's Speech, American Hustle is an excellent film that I enjoyed greatly, but it's nowhere near my favorite movie of the year.



Dallas Buyers Club

As I've said over and over again last year... if you told me 5 years ago that Matthew McConaughey would be the most exciting and daring actor working today, I would've thought you were insane. And after C.R.A.Z.Y and the vastly underrated The Young Victoria, I eagerly await any film that director Jean-Marc Vallée chooses to make.



Frances Ha

Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig's sublime, lovely, and very funny ode to adrift twenty-somethings trying to find security and a place in the world is also beautiful to watch. The final scene/punchline, where we learn the meaning of the film's title, is absolutely perfect. It's also streaming on Netflix, so you have no excuse for not watching it.



Frozen

I kind of pains me to admit that I liked Frozen more than Hayao Miyazaki's gorgeous The Wind Rises, but Frozen really stirred my soul with its spectacular animation and fabulous songs by the husband-and-wife team of Robert Lopez (Avenue Q and The Book Of Mormon) and Kristen Anderson-Lopez. Again, just watch THIS:



The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

To be honest, I liked the first Hunger Games movie, but I felt it was missing a sense of excitement and grandeur that was in the books. Catching Fire, on the other hand, improves on the first movie in almost every way. Packed with excitement, suspense, menace, and spectacle, it's two-and-a-half hours of pure entertainment, capped off with a nasty cliffhanger of a final scene that's like a punch to the gut.



Mud

Again, Matthew McConaughey, FTW and WTF? After Shotgun Stories and Take Shelter, this makes three winners in a row for writer-director Jeff Nichols, who this time spins a modern-day Mark Twain tale of childhood, revenge, humanity, and violence.



Rush

Perhaps the most under-appreciated high-profile film of the year. Rush is the most thrillingly-directed film of Ron Howard's career. Chris Hemsworth probably gives what will be the best performance he will ever give. And Daniel Brühl is a revelation in the first of two 2013 movies in which he was billed as a supporting actor but was actually the lead (the other being The Fifth Estate). 



Short Term 12

Destin Cretton's portrait of the staff of a foster care facility for troubled teens is a real as it gets, full of drama, heartbreak, humor, tragedy, and eventually a wonderful sense that everything will be okay. It's a great big hug of a film, anchored by an unbelievably great performance by Brie Larson.



The Spectacular Now

Like Short Term 12, The Spectacular Now is a lovely, delicate low-budget work of art. Directed by James Ponsoldt (Smashed) from a screenplay by Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber ((500) Days Of Summer), it's a simple high school romance between the smart good girl and the lovable popular guy... who also happens to be an alcoholic.



Upstream Color

Shane Carruth's long-awaited follow-up to his confounding 2004 time-travel drama Primer is even denser and more intellectually-challenging. It's also probably the most downright gorgeous movie of 2013, so don't even try to decode it; just watch it and soak it all in. It's also available to stream on Netflix.



Up next, my top 10 favorite movies of 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment